I love the idea of anti-theft travel crossbody bags but they typically aren’t very stylish (in my opinion). In early 2020, I purchased the Pacsafe Citysafe CX Anti Theft Convertible Crossbody bag for a planned trip to Iceland, Denmark, and Norway. That trip was canceled due to the pandemic, but I kept the bag and used it as my daily purse. Recently, I picked up the Travelon 33226 540 Anti-Theft Heritage Small Crossbody Bag in Pewter. In this post, I will compare the two travel bags and give you my honest opinion.
This post contains affiliate links, which means I make a small commission at no extra cost to you.
Typical Features of Anti-Theft Travel Bags
I researched several bags and features when I was on a hunt for an anti-theft bag back in 2020. Here is a summary of the typical features common to most bags and that are important must-haves for me.
- RFID Blocker. RFID stands for Radio Frequency Identification. This is my #1 feature to look out for. Most credit and debit cards use tap technology, which is really convenient when at the checkout, but does make us more vulnerable to thieves. This video shows how thieves use RFID technology to steal your personal info without you knowing. I also purchased RFID blocker card protectors for the trip. While preparing this blog post I found these RFID blocker passport sleeves, which also look like a great option.
- Cut resistant fabric. A thin stainless steel mesh sits under the outer layer of the bag. This adds a layer of protection if your bag were to get slashed, your items would be caught by the mesh. I also see wire woven into the straps making them resistant to being cut.
- Lockable zippers. Lockable zippers make it impossible for pickpocketers to gain access to your bag without you noticing.
- Detachable strap with lock. Having a detachable lockable strap is useful when dining restaurant or cafe or basically, anywhere you are stopping for a break. Wrap the strap around a chair or table and leg.
Pacsafe vs. Travelon Crossbody Bags
Pacsafe Citysafe CX Anti Theft Convertible Crossbody Bag
I’ve been using the Pacsafe Citysafe CX Anti Theft Convertible Crossbody bag as my everyday bag for almost 2 years. I like its flexible design. You can wear it full length which will easily fit a small tablet or e-reader, or fold it over for a more compact, dressier look. This was exactly what I wanted for my trip, a bag that could go from casual sightseeing during the day to a nice dressier dinner at night.
What I like about the Pacsafe Citysafe crossbody bag
- The nylon outer material of the bag is really easy to clean and performs well in the rain.
- The versatility of the bag can be worn full length or folded over for a more compact dressier look.
- The outer front zippers pocket is large enough to fit both my personal (Pixel 6 Pro) and work cell (Samsung Galaxy S20) at the same time.
- Both zippers have locks.
- The bag is lightweight.
What I don’t like about the Pacsafe Citysafe crossbody bag
- My only complaint with the bag is with the zippers. They don’t feel smooth and sometimes get stuck. I thought this was a defect and contacted the company I purchased it from and they sent another one. The second one was no different so I think it’s the design of the bag.
Travelon 33226 540 Anti-Theft Heritage Small Crossbody
I purchased this bag because I was kind of over the Pacsafe and wanted to refresh my style with a new look. I like the look of the Travelon. It has three separate areas, a zippered main compartment, a front zippered pocket, and a small pocket at the back. The straps are adjustable so you can wear them as a shoulder bag or as a crossbody. I like the vegan swede details.
What I like about the Travelon Anti-Theft Heritage Small Crossbody
- Includes a mini LED light which is very useful and handy, especially when getting in low light
- The Pewter colour paired with the vegan brown swede accents is stylish.
- Offers plenty of organization for its small size.
- The zippers are smooth and the bag looks of good quality (see below for my thoughts on the straps).
What I don’t like about the Travelon Anti-Theft Heritage Small Crossbody
- The canvas outer material isn’t easy to clean which is important to me as a mom of a puppy who still likes to jump up when dirty paws.
- The back pocket doesn’t fit either of my phones (even just one). In fact, to carry both of them, one needs to go into the main compartment and the one in the front pocket. Only the zipper on the main compartment has a lock.
- The straps are woven cotton which in my opinion feels cheap and isn’t that comfortable.
Side by side Comparison Anti-Theft Crossbody Bags
Both bags are nice and have their own unique features. If you are looking for a good anti-theft travel bag on a budget I would recommend the Travelon 33226 540 Anti-Theft Heritage Small Crossbody Bag. If you have a little extra to spend and are looking for something a little more versatile then you can’t go wrong with the Pacsafe Citysafe CX Anti Theft Convertible Crossbody bag.