Tomatoes scream summer to me. We grow Big Beef tomatoes each year in our raised vegetable garden. We’ve been really successful with this variety. As the name suggests, they are large in size, but unlike other large tomatoes – these are full of flavour. Making them the ideal choice for Tomato, Mozzarella & Basil Salad, also known as Caprese salad. We also grow cherry tomatoes and have used them in place of the Big Beef in this recipe for a sweeter version of this salad.
Disclaimer: I only recommend products my family would use and all opinions expressed here are our own. This post contains affiliate links, which means I make a small commission at no extra cost to you. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
What you need to make Tomato, Mozzarella & Basil Salad
- Cutting board
- Sharp knife (even the slightest dull knife will make slicing tomatoes harder than it should be)
- Serving platter
- Tomatoes, thick slices. 1 large tomoto serves 2-4 people
- Mozzarella ball, thick slices, same amount as tomoto slices
- Fresh basil, 1-2 pieces for each tomato slice
- Salt & Pepper, to taste
- Balsamic glaze or a mixture of olive oil and balsamic vinegar
Putting it all together
- On a serving platter, lay flat your tomato slices slide by side.
- Next, place one mozzarella slice on top of each tomato slice.
- Crack some salt and pepper over each slice of mozzarella.
- Add 1-2 pieces of fresh basil on top of each slice of mozzarella.
- Drizzle balsamic glaze (or your mixture of oil and balsamic vinegar) over top of the salad.
More ways to enjoy your Summer Tomato, Mozzarella & Basil salad
- Enjoy over your favourite toast. I love toasting up my homemade sourdough bread and layering this salad on top and having for lunch.
- Caprese grilled sandwich. Using the homemade sourdough bread, cutoff the crust, layer the tomato, mozzarella, basil and glaze between the bread slices. Drizzle the outside with some olive oil and grill in a hot pan.
- Caprese chaffle sandwich.
- Over a bed of lettuce.
- As a side with your favourite protein like grilled steak or BBQ chicken.