This Skillet Hash & Eggs is a great recipe to use up your leftovers, but it is also easy enough to make from scratch. Either way, the potatoes, bacon, and eggs create a hearty, tasty meal perfect for breakfast, lunch, or dinner.
This post contains affiliate links, which means I make a small commission at no extra cost to you.
Why You’ll love this Skillet Hash & Egg Recipe?
This is a great recipe to keep in your “what to do with leftovers” tool kit. We have roasted potatoes as a side dish at least weekly, and we always make sure to make more than we need for that meal. Roasted potatoes are great to keep in the fridge and use when you need food ready for those busy days.
This recipe is so versatile that you probably have the ingredients already in your fridge or pantry, so there is no need to run to the store. The other night we had grilled lamb and roasted potatoes for dinner. We used the leftover lamb and potatoes to make this skillet hash and eggs and it was the one we’ve made yet!
Skillet Recipe Breakdown
In my opinion, the best Skillets consist of the following components:
Potatoes: Roasted leftover potatoes work really well but if you don’t have any made, don’t worry, it’s easy enough to fry some up. We usually get red potatoes If you are following a lower-carb diet, try swapping potatoes for chopped cauliflower (just keep in mind cauliflower doesn’t need as much time to cook).
Eggs: So many options, crack them right on top of the hash and bake, pour whisked eggs into the hash, and scramble or fry them to your liking in a separate pan and slide them on top of the cooked hash.
Meat: My family loves bacon. We buy in bulk and cook it often. Cook bacon first and halfway through cooking start adding in the other cooked ingredients. If you have other leftover meat, chop it up and throw it in!
Veg: Chop an onion and cook with the bacon. If you like tomatoes, chop some up and throw them in.
Dairy: Sprinkle some shredded cheese over top about a minute before the skillet is done cooking for some additional flavour and gooey texture.
Skillet Hash & Eggs
- Cast iron skillet
- 4 slices bacon, thinly sliced
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 cups pototoes, cooked, chopped in small pieces
- 1 cup leftover meat, chopped in small pieces
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese of choice (optional)
- 4-6 eggs
- Heat a cast iron skillet on medium. Add the bacon and onions. Cook for a few minutes until onions become translucent.
- Add in cooked potatoes and cooked meat. Stir. Cook until heated through.
- Option 1: Cook eggs to your liking in a separate pan. Serve over hash, finish off with a sprinkling of cheese.
- Option 2: Whisk the eggs together and pour over hash and scramble until eggs are cooked.
- Option 3: Crack eggs over top of the hash (still in the cast iron skillet) and place the entire skillet in the oven at 400°F until eggs are cooked to your liking.
- Best served right away!
Other posts I think you will enjoy:
- How to Make Pumpkin Spice Mix
- How to Make a Simple Apple Oatmeal Bake | Breakfast Recipe
- How to Make Sous Vide Egg Bites at Home
- How to Make Fresh Garden Tomato Soup
- What to do in Crystal Beach, Canada’s Southern Coast?